Autumn in the Corbieres



I'm going to admit to being slightly, hmmm, how shall I put it ? charismatic ? lively ? unusual ? possessing a certain 'joie de vivre' on a good day. And oh boy, have I just had two wonderful days. Saturday kick started with temperatures in which to bask. Everyone else has closed down their pools of course, well you would wouldn't you ? it's mid October for heavens sake. Not me though. Saturday saw me pootling in the pool with 2b and The Small Cross One cringing as I let out a loud Arghhh, after that it was ok. Enjoyable even.

Sunday His Lordship and I packed our thermos flask (how terribly British)and headed off to the Mediterranean coast. Parking our car at Gruissan Plage we scurried across the warm, almost deserted beach and fell into the waves. No Arghh either. Unbelievably invigorating. A couple of forlorn chaps from Toulouse came up and congratulated us on winning the rugby. 'How did you guess we were English' ? we said, 'no-one swims in the sea in October' they replied, touching our arms to confirm that we were not going to perish from the cold. I put it all down to years of bracing Cornish holidays myself.

Mindful that we were supposed to be somewhere at 12.30 for lunch clothes were hurriedly pulled on and lipstick applied. I had forgotten my hairbrush so it was the 'au natural' just off the beach look. When we arrived at our hosts I couldn't help but notice that people had scarves carefully wrapped round their necks and a couple were even gently sniffing, laden with cold I presumed. 'Sorry we're late' (we're always late) I stated probably a bit too robustly, 'been swimming in the sea' like it was a normal and everyday occurrence in October. No-one believed us of course till I lifted a sandy foot up for inspection. His Lordship and I then tucked into the most scrumptious of Sunday lunches polishing off healthy helpings to boot.

As we were so late, verging on impolite, I could only point my camera quickly as we whizzed along hence I didn't quite manage to capture the hues of the Autumn vines as well as I would have wished or the rugged beauty of the area with it's distinctive Mediterranean pines.

'You could post up the picture I took of you' His Lordship is helpfully suggesting. Ah yes, that picture of me frolicking and embracing the waves with gusto, arms flung back as the salty spray kisses my face and the warmth of the sun cossets me.

I like to provide you all with an air of mystery though, wouldn't be the same without would it ?

Comments

Elizabethd said…
I love the time of year when the vines are turning, the colours are so vibrant.
Casdok said…
Spoil sport!!
ChrisH said…
Brilliant - sounds hedonistic and great fun, especially as we are swathed in a veil of depressing, grey cloud.
FunkyMunky said…
Sounds lovely. I've just returned from a week in South West France and although we couldn't really complain about the weather while we were there, my mum tells me it's been even better since we left. You certainly couldn't go swimming here at the moment!! Unless of course, you have a death-wish!!
muddyboots said…
you do it on purpose sally! oooh, green with envy!
Hannah Velten said…
You mad Brits! Good work, Sally...keep 'em on their toes, I say.
Un Peu Loufoque said…
No dear we do not want to frighten the horses now do we even if they are sea horses!! Muggy yet autumnal here ! Glad you ahd a spiffing weekend!!
LittleBrownDog said…
What a lovely indulgence - a dip in the Med in October. V envious!
It does sound like you had fun! And I'd love to see your antique dress...
Pondside said…
First of all, the word Mediterranean alone puts me into a very envious state!....then the lunch, the sunshine, the pool....not fair!!!!
Wonderful! She says scuttling for a thicker jumper!
Grouse said…
Sounds just what we all need to invigorate ourselves before the forthcoming trials of winter!!!!!

Wish I could just jump on a plane and take advantage of an autumn break!!!!
Suffolkmum said…
Glad you're keeping up the reputation for British eccentricity.
@themill said…
Baggy bottomed second son keeps texting me the temperature, just to make me envious.

Popular Posts