Walking in the Languedoc



I tried to take advantage of the extra hour in bed this morning but lay there instead wondering if I should get up. Hopeless.

His Lordship insisted that we go for a long walk as the house was full of guests and I had been pretty busy all week. We strode off down towards the cemetery. Whatever the circumstances or weather His Lordship cannot resist making the remark that there are lots of people underground who would rather be above. Nearly as bad as the impossibly irritating remark that 'however young a prune may be it's always black and wrinkled'. You can now understand why we need a large house, some days I am simply impossible to locate.

However we had the glorious open paths to ourselves. I wonder if this is because Sunday mornings La Chasse (the guns) are out prowling through the vines and woodland. Every year there are a number of fatalities, mainly Grandmothers who would be well advised to stay indoors instead of searching for mushrooms for the family lunch. The colours were stunning and as the mists began to burn off the sun started to push out some serious heat. Taking a quick spin with the roof off the ancient VW golf we availed ourselves of a bottle of Vin Primeur des Côtes de Prouilhe, the most delicious local early pressing of chardonnay grapes. It just oozed crushed strawberries but one of the downfalls of the equinoxe wines is they must be drunk before Christmas !!

The Small Cross One departs for England tomorrow. Sleepily acknowledging that a wardrobe would need to be assembled from my position on the sunbed clad in my swimsuit we have a slight altercation. 'You'll need your winter coat' I advise.

It falls on deaf ears.

Comments

Elizabethd said…
Sunbed? Swimsuit?? How can you tell us this?! I am wearing two fleeces today!
Whaaaaat?? who shoots the poor grannies picking mushrooms ...what ARE they shooting?
Winter coat? bring two and thick tights...brrrrr
lampworkbeader said…
Tell the lass that she'll need her raincoat. It's pouring here.
pst! Don't advertise the fact that it is Granny shooting season down there if you want to attract any guests. There are a lot of Grannies on Purplecoo.
Casdok said…
Of course they have to be drunk before christmas????!
Crystal Jigsaw said…
I hope the mushrooms aren't magic ones! And what a great excuse to drink the wine!

When does the sun stop shining over there? And do you own a fleece??!!!!

Crystal xx
Cowgirl said…
Ahhh, Sally, Sally, Sally.... the pleasure of reading your blogs again is finally mine. Loved this one and the pic of the vines in their almost autumnal coats, and the walk amongst the headstones made me chuckle, and brought to mind a favourite quote of mine -the graveyards are full of "indispensable" men.... Know just what you mean about "just not being able to found"! I have lots of hidey holes round here. Hope you don't mind - put a link to your Chateau on my Blogpage. Looking forward to reading more.
Sally's Chateau said…
I don't blog when it rains !! Goodness knows what they shoot apart from Grannies and I've seen unbroken guns. It's true, its been a scorcher but October is often glorious. Thank you Cowgirl .....
Frances said…
Sally, You've written another enticing invitation to your part of the world. Glad to hear that His Lordship is back in walking shape.

How can I show my sympathy to your chore of drinking that wine with a deadline on the horizone?

I may be taking a chance, assuming that the shooters are mostly male, but really! Cannot these mushroom seekers and gun-toting folks figure out some way to go about their pursuits without tragedy. Of course they can, I know.

Today was the day that our weather suddenly has left summer behind. I cannot take a coat out yet, but needed one more layer before heading out into the the windy afternoon.

Whatever the season, you just entice us!

xo
Suffolkmum said…
Loved this Sally. Loved your little comments on marital harmony - I do so know what you mean - a big house does help! Are there really fatalities each year?! Fantastically enticing as ever.
muddyboots said…
sally, you are so annoying!! tales of wonderful countryside, gun toting locals & swimming pools is just too much for mere mortals, it seem so long ago now when we visited......wonderful....
Grouse said…
Takes a lot to drag me from the Peak District, but lounging by the pool in October? I'll be on the next flight.........

.......I do like the idea of being drunk before Xmas......
Pipany said…
Sally, I have just read back through all your blogs! They are fab and that photo!!!! No wonder you won a prize. I shal;l definitely be returning xx
Mary said…
Tell her she'll need her thermals or is it me really feeling the cold this year!!
CAMILLA said…
Hello Slly,

Oh lounging by the pool sounds fab, it is cold dark and damp here in England.

Well done again for your Award Sally, I'm not surprised, your pictures are lovely.

Camilla.xx
elizabethm said…
So envious of the warmth! We have friends in Provence and every time we go I am amazed by how different life is when the sun shines hotter and longer. I've had a fleece (supposedly an outdoor one) on all day today. Just taken it off as the woodburner has really kicked in and now it is majorly cosy in here.
@themill said…
Did your ears work at that age?

Popular Posts